S.S. Argentina

Artifacts

 

Buttons from Purser Robert Melsopp's uniform.  (Courtesy of Karin Cleary.)

An envelope sent during the first trip the S.S. Argentina took in November 1938.

A card  commemorating the voyage from Le Havre on December 2, 1945, arriving in New York on December 9, 1945.  Even though the card states S.S. Argentina, she was still a troopship at this time.  The diamond on the funnel was removed shortly after the WWII began.  So they may have grabbed an old card and typed the language on the top to use it for the trip.

July 24, 1949 - Invitation to Captain Simmons' Cocktail Party on Deck. 

 

August 11, 1949 - Floor Show Program at 9:30 p.m. in the Main Lounge.

In 1993 this twin engine telegraph was found in San Diego, California, in a ship salvage store.  Marked on the telegraph is the S.S. Argentina's Official No. 229044.   (Courtesy of Geary Quinn.)

 

April 25, 1953 - Floor Show Program at 10 pm in the Main Lounge.

 

May 9, 1953 - Floor Show Program at 10 pm in the Main Lounge.

Postwar Maiden Voyage of the S.S. Argentina

Souvenir Cover commemorating the Postwar Maiden Voyage of the S.S. Argentina.  The ship left New York on January 15 and the letter was mailed from Rio de Janeiro on February 7.  This is the first vessel of Moore-McCormack's Good Neighbor Fleet to return to service after WWII.

 

 

Page 1

The CompanyOcean LinersCargo LinersInformationGuest BookE-Mail UsHOME